Interested in starting a podcast to grow your business? As you know, last summer, we started a podcast that gets posted to YouTube every week. A Little Marketing has been a labour of love since the start. Created in collaboration with Nikki Gillingham of Blue Whale Marketing in Kelowna, B.C., we’re proud of each episode and the amazing guests who have appeared. We’ve quickly seen the benefits.
Starting a podcast can be a great way to grow your business, as it allows you to reach a larger audience and build a stronger connection with your customers and prospects.
Starting a Podcast to Grow Your Business
One of our first guests on the show was Steph Wharton, a podcasting expert. Our discussion was wide-ranging and included many tips on how to get started. Here are some from Steph and others that are helpful.
- Choose a relevant topic for your business that will interest your target audience. The stories you tell on your podcast will help attract and engage listeners. In addition, your stories will position your business as a thought leader in your industry.
- Invest in high-quality equipment, such as a good microphone and recording software, to ensure that your podcast sounds professional.
- Plan and outline your episodes in advance, and prepare any materials or notes you need. Doing so will help you stay focused and on track and avoid rambling or losing your train of thought.
- Promote your podcast on your website and social media channels, and encourage your audience to subscribe and leave reviews.
- Be consistent and commit to regularly publishing new episodes to build a loyal audience and keep them engaged with your content.
Starting a podcast can be a powerful marketing tool for your business but it requires planning, preparation, and dedication. By following these tips and being consistent, you can use your podcast to grow your business and connect with your audience in a meaningful way.
For more help understanding how starting a podcast can help grow your business, watch our podcast with Steph Wharton. And remember to learn from other marketing experts from our A Little Marketing podcast.
On which platforms should I place my podcast?
You can publish your podcast on many platforms, including popular ones like Apple, Spotify, and Google. These platforms are easy to use and have a large audience, making them an excellent place to start.
In addition to these mainstream platforms, there are many specialized podcast hosting and distribution services, such as Anchor, Buzzsprout, and Podbean. These services can provide additional features and tools to help you manage and promote your podcast, such as analytics, show notes, and customizable RSS feeds.
It can also be helpful to publish your podcast on your website and on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Doing so will help you reach a wider audience and give you more control over the presentation of your podcast and how it’s shared.
Ultimately, the best platforms for your podcast will depend on your target audience, goals, and resources. It’s a good idea to experiment and try publishing on different platforms to see which works best for you and your business.
How should I promote my podcast?
Promoting your podcast is essential to growing your audience and reaching new listeners. Here are some tips to help you effectively promote your podcast:
- Include your podcast on your website and social media channels. Make it easy for people to find and subscribe to your podcast – share episodes on your social media feed to promote them to your followers.
- Create show notes for each episode, including a summary, key takeaways, and any relevant links or resources. Show notes help people understand your episode and give them a reason to listen.
- Use keywords and tags to make your podcast discoverable on platforms like Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Keywords and tags help people find your podcast when they search for related topics.
- Collaborate with other podcasters or influencers in your industry. You can cross-promote each other’s shows, guest on episodes, or share each other’s content on social media. This idea aims to help you reach a new audience and build relationships with other creators.
- Engage with your audience and encourage feedback. Respond to comments and reviews, and ask for input or suggestions on future episodes. You’ll build a community around your podcast and make your audience feel valued.
Overall, promoting your podcast requires a combination of tactics and strategies. By using a variety of channels and engaging with your audience, you can effectively promote and grow your podcast over time.
What are some benefits of starting a podcast to support and promote my business?
Starting a podcast can provide many benefits for your business, including the following:
- Reach a larger audience. Podcasts are a popular and convenient way for people to consume content. They can help you get a wider audience than you can with other marketing channels.
- Build credibility and authority. By sharing your expertise and insights on your podcast, you can establish yourself as a thought leader in your industry and build credibility and trust with your audience.
- Connect with your audience. Podcasts offer a personal and engaging format to help you build stronger connections with your audience and foster loyalty.
- Provide value to your audience. You can demonstrate your expertise and help your audience learn and grow by providing valuable and relevant content on your podcast.
- Generate leads and sales. Your podcast can be a powerful tool for driving traffic to your website and generating leads and sales for your business. You can include calls to action and links to your products and services in your episodes to encourage listeners to take action.
Starting a podcast can be a valuable addition to your marketing strategy and can help you grow your business and connect with your audience in a meaningful way.
Is YouTube a viable platform for podcasting?
Yes, YouTube can be a viable platform for podcasting. Many podcasters publish their episodes on YouTube and other podcasting platforms, as it can help them reach a wider audience and gain more visibility for their content.
One advantage of publishing your podcast on YouTube is that it allows you to include visuals with your audio content. The visual aspect makes your episodes more engaging and helps you promote your brand and showcase your products and services.
Another advantage of YouTube is that it has a large and active community of users, and it can be an excellent place to connect with other creators and share your content. You can also use YouTube’s tools and features, such as analytics and advertising, to help you grow your audience and reach new listeners.
Of course, there are also some challenges to publishing your podcast on YouTube. For example, YouTube’s algorithms can make it difficult for your episodes to get discovered, and it can be competitive to get views and subscribers on the platform.
Whether or not YouTube is a good platform for your podcast depends on your goals, audience, and content. It can be worth considering as part of your overall podcasting strategy, but you may also want to publish your episodes on other platforms.