Earlier this week, we talked about how important directories can be to grow your small business. Online directories help you get found and generate leads. And we’ve also written about how to use Google My Business to get more customers.
At 10|20 Marketing, we offer local listings management to get your business listed on a number of directories and maintain them. Maintenance means they stay consistent, up to date and that consumers have accurate information about your business. All this leads to more leads to grow your small business.
In Part 1, we talked about listings on Search Engines, Social Networks and Navigation Services. Today, we’re going to round out our review by covering directories in what is called the General Publishers category.
General Publishers are business directories in and of themselves. They’re not necessarily tied to navigation systems, for example, though consumers may be able to find directions through them.
- Cylex: Founded in 1998 and operating in more than 30 countries, Cylex is an online business directory whose aim is to connect companies with consumers. You can find the Canadian directory here (the top 3 cities for searches are Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal).
- Infobel: Launched in 1995, Infobel was the first online phone directory – the first digital phonebook! Consumers can search for businesses by industry, business name, or location. You can add your company to their database here (Canadian site is linked).
- Manta: America’s Small Business Directory. Consumers can search for local businesses based on business name, type, or location. You can add yours to the list here.
- Baidu: Baidu is a Chinese technology company and search engine that uses AI to make content discovery on the internet easier. Learn more about listing your business on Baidu’s directory here.
- Brownbook: Brownbook is a global business directory with more than 40 million listings – however, consumers can of course filter by country. You can list your business for free, and upload photos, your logo, videos, and more to promote your business for free online. Get started here.
- Tupalo: “Stuff in your neighbourhood.” Tupalo is visited by more than 3 million consumers each month and connects consumers with local businesses in their area. You can list your business for free.
- Yandex: Yandex is an online directory that also has maps, navigator, and search functions. You can add your local business listing to Yandex here. If you do not have a brick-and-mortar location consumers can visit, you can still list your business however it will not be visible on the maps function.
- ShowMeLocal: ShowMeLocal is an online business directory founded in New York but with directories around the world including more than 22 Million listings. You can create a free account and add your business here.
- iGlobal: iGlobal is an online directory with a presence in more than 60 countries, which not only has business listings but also allows consumers to leave reviews. You can add your business to iGlobal for free here.
- Petal Search: Petal Search is a search engine created by Huawei in Ireland, and offers access to a number of local services. It filters based on a number of criteria – including business location, making it ideal for local businesses. Get your business listed on Petal Search here.
- NextDoor: An app designed to bring neighbours together, one of the key features is recommendations from neighbours for local businesses and service providers. You can share your business story and let consumers know about important updates; get started here.
- N49: N49 is a review-based online directory where Canadian consumers can read, write, and share reviews, with a US directory coming soon. There are multiple listing plans, but you can get started for free.
- FindOpen: FindOpen is the best place to find opening hours for local businesses, as well as directions, phone numbers, addresses and more. FindOpen aggregates their data from Cylex; to get listed, register with Cylex.
- Acompio: An online business directory and marketplace, where consumers can rate and review products and services offered by thousands of businesses. You can join Acompio Canada’s database with a free listing here.
Get Listed Stress Free!
There are so many online business directories. And for every directory, there’s an opportunity to be found and grow your small business. But you have to create your listings and they have to stay up to date. We recommend starting with the lists in these two blogs. Or you can simply reach out to us to help you get listed stress-free.